Department: Financial Services
Reports To: Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer
FLSA Class: Exempt
To compile, record, file and maintain accounting data extracted from all areas of the Cooperative in the most efficient and effective methods resulting in accurate and informative financial information for end users.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Acts as a member of the Financial Department staff.
1.1.Supports member and employee satisfaction initiatives.
1.2.Prepares reports regularly to the Vice President and Chief Financial Officer to assure compliance with program goals and budget levels and to serve as the basis for planning.
1.3.Attends, communicates and participates in regular departmental staff and employee meetings to discuss, propose, and report on department activities, progress, and process improvement initiatives.
1.4.Represents the Vice President and Chief Financial Officer as assigned to insure adequate representation of the cooperative’s interests.
2. Processes General Accounting
2.1.Records journal entries from various subsystems and adjusting entries as needed.
2.2.Maintains subsidiary records to support the general ledger.
2.3.Balances general ledger accounts.
2.4.Prepares tax returns.
2.5.Creates monthly Board and ad hoc reports.
2.6.Assists in the creation of the annual operating budget.
2.7.Audits invoice payments for prescribed accounting.
2.8.Assists in creating work papers for the annual audit and assists the auditors completing field work.
3. Other Areas
3.1.Serves as back-up to other positions in their absence or as needed.
3.2.Serves as initial contact for corporate property and liability insurance claims and files claims as needed.
3.3.Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Accuracy of data as measured by the output.
2. Timeliness, as measured by scheduled task deadlines and requirements.
3. Team facilitation, as measured by behavioral characteristics, internal collaborative efforts and internal process enhancements.
4. Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
1. Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration.
2. 5 years related work experience, preferably with a utility, OR any equivalent combination of education and experience from which the necessary qualifications can be ascertained.
3. Must be organized, detail oriented, able to concentrate, and skilled in communicating with others.
4. Must be able to express self well orally and in writing.
5. Ability to multitask and manage time.
6. Must have sufficient physical health to perform the essential functions, duties, and responsibilities of the job.
7. Must be able to read and write in English. The ability to speak Spanish would be a plus.
8. Skills in developing plans, procedures, and goals are required.
9. CPA or CMA certification is highly desirable.
10.Knowledge of accounting software applications and MS Office.
11.Must be self motivated to accomplish needed tasks and motivate subordinate positions.
12.Requires mathematical ability commensurate with accounting.
Must complete the RUS Advanced Accounting course within one year of date of hire.
1. Inside climate controlled office working conditions.
2. Work outside normal working hours may be required.
3. Limited overnight travel is required for training.
4. Dress in a neat, professional fashion. The supervisor will determine the appropriateness of dress.
Physical Demands of the Position:
1. Must be able to lift items that weigh up to 25 pounds occasionally.
2. Position requires the ability to hear, use near and far vision, stand, walk, kneel, bend, crouch, crawl, twist upper body, and manipulate a variety of objects and tools using arms, hands, and fingers.